Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 60 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
4 cups black beans, cooked or canned
1 bell pepper, color of your choice
1 onion, diced
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons cumin
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
pinch of cayenne
- Wash and soak 2 cups of dried beans the night before.
- Rinse off soaking water, place in a pot with 3 1/2 cups of water, bring to a boil.
- Add cinnamon and cumin, cover and cook for 1 hour. If you use canned black beans, empty into pot, mix with spices, keeping about 1 cup of liquid from the can.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Chop onion and peppers, mince garlic.
- In a pan sauté onions and garlic with oil.
- Mix beans with sautéed onions, raw peppers, pinch of cayenne and salt.
- Garnish with cilantro and a wedge of lime. Serve with grains and/or greens.