Topicsapples arugula banana beet greens black beans bok choy broccoli carrots cleansing collard greens dandelion greens eating eggs exercise farmers market fasting fresh strawberries green cabbage honey jam kale lettuce local farmers milk mustard greens napa cabbage newsletter organic meat past newsletters recipe salad shiitake mushrooms smoothie spinach spring cleaning supplements sweet potatoes Swiss chard tone muscles vitamin a vitamin c vitamin e watercress workshop xertube®
Tag Archives: farmers market
Many of the farmers markets in my area (Wake Forest, Durham, and Carboro) opened today. It’s like a family reunion going back to the market after what seemed like a really long winter. Seeing all of the old vendors was great and I also met a few new vendors for this year. This is an exciting time of year where the season, our pallets, and available local foods change. There was honey, lettuce, spinach, eggs, organic meats, and jams available. Plenty of bedding plants were also in great quantities if you are like me and want to grow some of your own vegi’s.
This is some of the lettuce mix I purchased. I cannot wait for my taste buds to experience the mixture of flavors! Until next week be healthy, wealthy, and wise!
Did you know there are many benefits to shopping and purchasing local foods?
- The fresher the food the more nutrients and vitamins are available
- You are helping the environment since the food does not have to travel too far to get to your plate
- You get a chance to meet and create relationships with the local farmers
- You can build a sense of community with the other local shoppers
- Buy purchasing local foods you are supporting the community
- You get more for your money because you are not having to pay for all of the traveling and stocking expenses associated with supermarket foods
Your body will benefit from the freshness as well as the vital energy of the food.