Topicsapples arugula banana beet greens black beans bok choy broccoli carrots cleansing collard greens dandelion greens eating eggs exercise farmers market fasting fresh strawberries green cabbage honey jam kale lettuce local farmers milk mustard greens napa cabbage newsletter organic meat past newsletters recipe salad shiitake mushrooms smoothie spinach spring cleaning supplements sweet potatoes Swiss chard tone muscles vitamin a vitamin c vitamin e watercress workshop xertube®
Tag Archives: black beans
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 60 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
4 cups black beans, cooked or canned
1 bell pepper, color of your choice
1 onion, diced
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons cumin
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
pinch of cayenne
- Wash and soak 2 cups of dried beans the night before.
- Rinse off soaking water, place in a pot with 3 1/2 cups of water, bring to a boil.
- Add cinnamon and cumin, cover and cook for 1 hour. If you use canned black beans, empty into pot, mix with spices, keeping about 1 cup of liquid from the can.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Chop onion and peppers, mince garlic.
- In a pan sauté onions and garlic with oil.
- Mix beans with sautéed onions, raw peppers, pinch of cayenne and salt.
- Garnish with cilantro and a wedge of lime. Serve with grains and/or greens.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Yield: 2-3 servings
- 1 can black beans (or pinto, red, kidney-your choice) (or approx. 2 cups cooked beans)
- 1 bunch collard greens (or kale, spinach-your choice)
- your favorite toppings, such as salsa, avocado or guacamole and sour cream
- In a medium saucepan, heat drained beans. Add your favorite seasonings, if desired.
- Fill a separate medium saucepan with 1-2 inches of water and bring to a boil.
- Wash and chop greens (you can use the stems, too) and add to boiling water.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes until greens are bright green and tender. Drain off water.
- On a plate, arrange a portion of the greens, top with a portion of the beans and finish with toppings of your choice.